Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Post No. 039 : 5775.05.21 : Living in the Notebook

There are three parts to journaling in America.

The first part is writing in the journal and drawing in the journal.

The second part is reading the journal.

The third part is living in the journal.

Living in the journal means taking what is in the journal and doing it. If I write in the journal, "Call X", then I've done the first part of journaling in America. If I read what I wrote, then I did the second part. If I call X, then I've done the third part.

The three parts of journaling can be compared to using a firesteel, a scraper, and tinder.

scraper = pen
firesteel = nib of pen
sparks = ink
tinder = paper

We take the scraper and strike the firesteel to make sparks which land on the tinder.
We take the pen and apply pressure on the nib so that ink flows on the paper.

Furthermore, we say that: we take our mind and strike our heart to create sparks that energize our limbs.

The words I write energize me to act. Writing the word energizes me. Reading the word energizes me. Which is more real? The words on the page, or my actions that result from the words? The words are more real, but the actions are more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment